Monday, August 18, 2008

Productive Weekend

So I've decided that my warlock is just not quite ready for Kara. In part it's me that's not ready. I know there's quite a bit of info out there on all the boss fights in Kara and the last thing I want to do is get to the boss and have the "Everyone know how to do this?" question posed and me the first or only one to raise their virtual hand. So with that said I didn't even attempt a Kara PUG.
In general I don't have a lot of time during the week to get much done in WoW. However, on a somewhat regular basis I get a Friday or Saturday night where I can spend a few more hours online thanks to not having to get up for work the next day. This weekend was one of those.

According to what I've been reading a minimum of +600 spell damage is recommended for entering Kara so I've been working hard at getting what is needed. I've specialized in Shadowcloth because there are three "Epic" items that I can craft that all add to shadow damage. I've got the shoulders and I'm very close to having the matts for the boots. On top of that I picked up enough badges finally to get a cloak that was a big upgrade. So after one daily heroic run to get the badges and a trinket I got from the run I was able to boost my +spell damage by somewhere between 50 and 60- points. Not a bad night.

Unfortunately, the run didn't start a success. I had asked if a guildie wanted to come. He did. Then when it came time I managed to get another guildie to come with. Here's where the problem started. The two guild mates were both setup for tanking. In a 5-man heroic I discovered this is a disaster in the making. We were so shy on DPS and our tanks were taking too much damage for our poor healer to keep up with that we wiped twice on the first mob. At this point I'm faced with the choice of keep banging my head against the dungeon wall and try to get through the instance (probably not going to happen) or figure out how to nicely ask one of the guildies to leave. Since our guild is small and both of these guys have been pretty helpful in the past, the last thing I wanted to do was to ask them to leave. On the other hand I'm looking at the 5 badges that I need to get my new cloak. So I stuck it out until our main tank decided that it wasn't working. To make this story a bit shorter, the other guild mate also ended up leaving and once we rebuilt our group we had one of the best PUGs I've seen in weeks.

So the question is, if I can manage getting to +600 spell damage by the next time I have a Friday or Saturday night to kill, do I try and get in a Kara PUG or not?

No comments: